When purchasing a Himalayan cat, it is important to find a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder is one who is knowledgeable, responsible, and dedicated to the breed. Here are some key things to look for when choosing a breeder:
1. Knowledge of the breed: A reputable breeder should have a deep understanding of the breed, including its history, genetics, personality traits, and health concerns. They should be able to answer any questions you have about the breed and provide information on what to expect from your Himalayan cat.
2. Health screening: A reputable breeder should have all breeding cats screened for genetic health issues, such as polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and hereditary cataracts. The breeder should be able to provide proof of health screenings for both the sire and dam.
3. Socialization: A reputable breeder should raise their cats in a clean, safe, and loving environment that encourages socialization. Kittens should be handled regularly and exposed to different sights, sounds, and people to help them become well-adjusted and confident.
4. Records: A reputable breeder should keep detailed records of their breeding program, including pedigrees, health screenings, and contracts. They should also provide you with a written health guarantee for your new kitten.
5. Professionalism: A reputable breeder should be professional, transparent, and open about their breeding program. They should be willing to provide references, answer questions, and give you a tour of their facilities.
6. Passion for the breed: A reputable breeder should be passionate about the breed and dedicated to improving it. They should be involved in breed clubs and attend shows and events to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the breed.
It is also important to avoid pet stores, online classified ads, and backyard breeders. These sources often sell sickly and poorly socialized kittens from inhumane breeding mills.
When you have found a reputable breeder, take the time to visit their facilities, meet the cats and kittens, and ask any questions you may have. A reputable breeder will be happy to answer your questions and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
Remember, choosing a reputable breeder is one of the most important decisions you will make when purchasing a Himalayan cat. By doing your research and finding a reputable breeder, you can ensure that you bring home a healthy, happy, and well-socialized kitten that will become a beloved member of your family.
When purchasing a Himalayan cat from a reputable breeder, you should look for the following:
1. The breeder should be able to provide you with a health guarantee for the cat.
2. They should also be able to provide you with information about the cat’s genetic background and any potential health issues that may be present in the breed.
3. The breeder should have a clean and healthy environment for the cats.
4. They should be able to provide you with references from previous buyers.
5. The breeder should be willing to answer any questions you have about the cat’s care and behavior.
6. They should be able to provide you with the cat’s registration papers and proof of vaccination.
7. They should also be willing to let you meet the cat’s parents, if possible.
8. Lastly, the breeder should be a member of a cat breeding association such as the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA).