The best way to clean your Dachshund’s ears is to first check with your vet to ensure that they do not have any issues or sensitivities that would make cleaning painful or dangerous. Once you have the green light from your vet, the general process for cleaning your Dachshund’s ears is as follows:
1. Gather all necessary materials, including ear cleaning solution (specifically designed for dogs, never use human products), cotton balls or pads, and a towel or cloth to wipe away any excess solution.
2. Hold your Dachshund’s head firmly but gently, and use one hand to hold their ear flap up and open.
3. Use the other hand to apply the cleaning solution to the cotton ball or pad, and gently wipe the inside of the ear, being careful not to insert the cotton ball or pad too far into the ear canal.
4. Use a clean cotton ball or pad to wipe away any debris or solution that may have accumulated in the ear.
5. Repeat this process for the other ear.
6. Use a towel or cloth to wipe away any excess solution from the ears.
It’s also important to note that it’s recommend to not clean your Dachshund’s ears too frequently, as this can lead to over-dryness and irritation. It’s also important to monitor your dog’s ears for signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or discharge. If you notice any of these signs, consult with your vet immediately.