Catnip is a beloved herb among cats, but it can lose its potency over time. To ensure that the catnip in your homemade toys stays fresh and appealing to your feline friend, there are several things you can do:
1. Use fresh catnip: The quality of the catnip you use will have a big impact on how long it stays fresh. Look for high-quality catnip that is fresh, fragrant, and free of additives or preservatives. Consider growing your own catnip or purchasing it from a reputable supplier.
2. Store catnip properly: Once you’ve purchased or harvested fresh catnip, store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. This will help to preserve the fragrance and potency of the herb. Avoid storing catnip in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight or moisture, as this can cause it to degrade more quickly.
3. Don’t overstuff the toys: When making homemade catnip toys, resist the urge to overstuff them with catnip. While it may seem like more catnip will make the toy more appealing, it can actually have the opposite effect. When a toy is overstuffed, the catnip may be compressed and lose its fragrance more quickly.
4. Rotate toys: To keep your cat interested in their toys, it’s a good idea to rotate them on a regular basis. This will give your cat a chance to rediscover the toys and the catnip scent. You can also store toys in a ziplock bag with a small amount of fresh catnip to help refresh the scent.
5. Wash toys regularly: Over time, catnip toys can accumulate dirt, oils, and saliva, which can make the catnip less appealing to cats. To keep the toys fresh, wash them on a regular basis using a gentle detergent and hot water. Make sure to rinse the toys thoroughly and allow them to air dry completely before giving them back to your cat.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that the catnip in your homemade toys stays fresh and appealing to your cat for as long as possible. Remember that every cat is different, so it may take some trial and error to find the right balance of catnip and toy rotation to keep your cat engaged and entertained.